Health & Life Sciences Sector
Perth’s Health and Life Science ecosystems are thriving. Western Australia is home to 179 life sciences organisations, employing a talent pool of more than 22,000 people (Invest and Trade WA), with expertise in areas of:
• Medical research
• New gene technologies
• Medical technology
• Long-term population health studies
• Data linkage and digital health solutions
Perth is located within the Southwest Australia Ecoregion, one of only 36 recognised Biodiversity Hotspots in the world, with flora and fauna which do not exist anywhere else on the planet. The region offers incredible potential sources for new pharmaceutical products.
Perth’s Health industries and Life Sciences sector brings with it unique advantages. As Western Australia’s gateway to Asia, Perth is situated in the world’s most populous time zone, shared with approximately 60% of the world’s population, making it easy to do business.
The Western Australian State Government has signalled their commitment to the sector by launching the inaugural Health and Medical Life Sciences Industry Strategy which focusses on supporting areas such as digital health, medical technology, biotechnology, pharmaceuticals and health and wellness sectors.
Perth's success stories
Perth has a long-standing history of health and life sciences excellence. Some of the world’s most renowned health and life sciences success stories have occurred in Perth, including:
• Nobel Laureates Barry Marshall and Robin Warren with their discovery of the bacterium Helicobacter pylori and its role in gastritis and peptic ulcer disease;
• Professor Fiona Wood who pioneered research and technology development in burns medicine, including ‘spray-on-skin’ for the treatment of burns victims, which greatly reduces permanent scarring; and
• Professor Martyn French who has supervised and contributed to national and international clinical trials of therapies for HIV infection, diseases caused by HIV infection, immunology of the HIV disease and primary antibody deficiency disorders.
Perth's Health and Life Sciences infrastructure
Perth's recently completed and upcoming developments include:
New Telethon Kids Institute
Murdoch Health & Knowledge Precinct
Pawsey Supercomputing Centre
Harry Perkins Institute of Medical Research
Ralph and Patricia Sarich Neuroscience Research Institute
Health in a Virtual Environment
Queen Elizabeth II Masterplan
King Edward Memorial Hospital
Come to Perth - Collaborate with the sector
Located within the City of Perth, the Queen Elizabeth II Medical Centre is the largest medical in the southern hemisphere, hosting over 40 different organisations providing healthcare, research, innovation and education. This shared infrastructure between hospitals and research institutes is yielding discoveries in Perth.
The Royal Perth Hospital Research Foundation is another major medical research foundation within the Perth CBD that has operated for almost four decades. They provide funding and in-house facility support to researchers across a range of disciplines and have a vision to champion innovative research that has a real impact on the health and wellbeing of the wider community.
Beyond the Perth CBD, there are a range of organisations operating independently or within identified clusters which include world-class universities, research institutes and medical foundations.
This blend of collaboration and innovation clusters has led to the development of Perth’s unique medical life sciences start-up scene.
Perth’s pathways for start-ups
Perth has several different pathways for start-ups to commercialise medical concepts and research. The following programs and organisations are supporting innovation and translation:
Invest more into your innovations
Being located in Perth can provide Research & Development Tax Incentives, where 43.5% of R&D costs will be reimbursed in cash to eligible companies. Check to see if you’re eligible through the Australian Tax Office.
Linear Clinical Research offers streamlined regulatory processes for clinical trials with no investigational new drug requirement. Australian (TGA) clinical trial start-ups are typically 4-6 months faster than US (FDA) trials and are often a third of the cost and exceptional quality.
Leveraging ‘World Standard Research’
Perth’s high-performing universities all provide avenues to leverage their research outputs to benefit your product, idea or research development. Universities in Perth are partnered with several different science-based initiatives to leverage their world-standard research capabilities. Below is a list of unique facilities to Perth, categorised by affiliated institution.
We are here to support you and your business
The unprecedented levels of public and private investment have fuelled dramatic changes in Perth and there is no better time to establish or relocate your business here.
If you would like to find out more about how the City of Perth can assist you and your business, please contact us.
The Economic Development Team can provide the following services:
- Guidance – Informing prospective operators about Perth.
- Investment facilitation - Assisting investors to find suitable products in Perth.
- A coordinated approach – Assisting prospective operators to navigate their way through government and guidance for the approvals process.
- Making connections – Facilitating introductions to industry leads.
- Funding – Grants and sponsorships are available.
- Contact the City of Perth to make enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
A Survey of Workforce Skills and Capacity in the Medical Technology Biotechnology Pharmaceutical and Digital Health (MTP) Sector